Guadalajara Daily Photo
Friday, June 30, 2006
Defenders of Veracruz Memorial.
This monument celebrates the defenders of the city of Veracruz in 1914. Of course they (we) lost the battle.
Why is important Veracruz, despite is so far from Guadalajara, well:
1. The first city in mainland America founded by Europeans. 1519.
2. The gate to conquest Mexico by Hernan Cortes. The road that he took starting from Veracruz to Mexico-Tenochtitaln is called "Ruta de Cortes". 1521
3. The last city to become independent after the Spaniards stood there (1821 - 1825) as a last land during the Mexican Independence wars (1810-1821). The city was bombed in 1823.
4. A city under siege by the French army in 1838-1839. We called "La Guerra de los Pasteles"
5. A city took by U.S. Army and following the same "Ruta de Cortez", and getting into Mexico City in 1847.
6. A city took by the French army and the starting of the "Intervencion Francesa". The Austrian born Maximiliano de Hamsburgo is the Emperor of Mexico, arriving to Veracruz into his way to Mexico City in 1864.
7. A city bombed and took by the U.S Navy in 1914.
The city has been declared 4 times heroic by the goverment. Do you thing it deserves the title?